Schloss Hotel

The romantic hotel Schloss Hohenstein offers you:
  • 15 individual hotel rooms and suites (29 beds) with free W-LAN / DSL
  • 6 historic function rooms for up to 110 persons
  • the gourmet restaurant “Dittrich’s” with 30 seats, terrace and bar
  • the restaurant “Schloss Schänke” with refined, regional cuisine and 45 seats
  • the courtyard and terrace with 60 seats and outdoor gastronomy
  • the romantic castle grounds with stage, ideal for functions and celebrations
  • a nearby chapel perfect for weddings for up to 120 persons
  • 50 parking spaces for cars and 3 parking spaces for buses free of charge
  • short distances – to Coburg 5 km, to the Autobahn 9 km, to Bamberg 49 km, to Nürnberg 74 km


 Mon - Sun 8.00 am - 22.00 pm
Check In:   15:00 pm  Check Out: 11:00 am
  book a room


Mon - Fr.:    07:00 am - 10:00 pm
Sa. - So.   08:00 am - 10:00 pm

The Castle

About Schloss Hohenstein

  • 1306

    A castle “Schloss Hohenstein” was first mentioned officially in the year 1306.

    Back then it was owned by the countess Jutta of Henneberg. In the year 1456 the Lords of Lichtenstein were given the Hohenstein castle as fief, where they resided until 1763. The medieval complex used to be located a little further east of the present castle and was relatively small.

  • 1525

    During the peasants’ war in 1525 it was the victim of destructive attacks of insurgent peasants.

    It was destroyed by fire all the way down to the foundation wall. Obviously then the decision was made not to rebuild the old complex the way it used to be. Instead it was newly built in the style of a renaissance castle, which was completed in the second half of the 16th century under Michael of Lichtenstein, who was the provost of the cathedral in Bamberg. During the 30–year war (1618 – 1648) the Hohenstein castle again suffered severe damages, which however, were removed in the following years.

  • Capel

    On the grounds of the former medieval castle you will find the chapel,

    which was erected in the second half of the 17th century, most likely by Christoph, Baron of Thüna, whose marital crest is posted above the portal. The chapel, which was built in rectangular form, ends three-sided in the east. A ridge turret rises over the roof. The inside consists of one room with a simple wooden ceiling, a gallery in the east and two galleries in the west. The jewel of the chapel is the pulpit with a magnificent carved sonic top, which goes back to the year 1688. The richly designed tombs especially the one of General Philipp Ernst of Imhof (died 1768) deserves your attention. The second tomb behind the altar remembers Hans Helmhard Auer of Hernkirchen (died 1718). The chapel of the castle still is in the possession of the von Imhof family and can be used for church weddings of both denominations and other festivities. It offers approx. 80 seats and additional standing room for approx. 60 persons.

  • 1763

    Philipp Ernst Baron of Imhof acquired the Hohenstein castle.

    He and his descendants gave it the present appearance and also created a castle park. During the Third Reich the family of the baron sold the castle to the Reichs Mail, which used it as a recreational home for their employees. After World War II the German Federal Mail rented it out as old people’s home.

  • 1976

    1976 the Hohenstein castle changed its owner again.

    It was acquired by the private citizen Oskar Hacker from Munich. Between 1989 and 1996 it was restored completely and turned into a castle hotel with restaurants.
    Today the Hohenstein castle together with the surrounding estate presents itself as an unique ensemble. The basic form has the appearance of an acute-angled triangle, which stretches to the west. The complex buildings of different eras enclose an irregular shaped courtyard. The main part of the Hohenstein castle consists of the new-built castle, which was built after the old castle was destroyed during the peasants’ war. Of the old complex only the square rests of the donjon is left. The overall impression, however, is dominated by historic forms of the late 19th century. The main building of the castle is the so-called Lichtenstein Building, named after its builder Michael of Lichtenstein. The inscription above the entrance shows that it was completed in 1571.

  • General

    In the east next to the building is the well-preserved defence wall with parapet walk which is partly integrated in the adjacent new construction of the 19th century. As stair tower serves the round tower of the 16th century with the inscription of a Wilhelm of Lichtenstein of the year 1567. Connected to it is the medieval gate house with a simple gate, which is not protected by fortifications. The corner in the north-west of the castle is taken up by the manor house of which half was built in the 18th century, the second half in the 19th century.
    There are various hiking trails leading from the present hotel through the magnificent landscape of the area. Furthermore, the area around the castle “Schloss Hohenstein” has many other leisure time facilities and cultural offers.
    The north and east side of the sandstone hill, on which the Hohenstein castle was erected, is wooded. Located in the south-west is the 18th century park, which offers quite a few exotic plants. Special kinds of ornaments are the built-in vases of pure Rokoko forms. Above a dragon cave you can find a round temple, which resembles a temple of the Ancient World. It was erected in the 19th century.


Every day from
08:00 am - 22:00 pm
Check In: 15:00 pm
Check Out: 11:00 am

Follow us


Hohenstein 1 - 96482 Ahorn
Tel: +49 (0) 9565 54 295 60
Fax: +49 (0) 9565 54 295 61